A. Expressing Thanks
When do we need to thank? The following are some situation that require expressions of gratitude or thanks. In general, we thank someone for a gift, for a favor, for an offer of help, for an invitation, for a compliment, for a wish of succes, for service, when ask about our health, when living a party or social gathering and when someone congratulate us.
Below are the expressions of thanking and the responses from more formal to less formal.
Expressions Of Thanking
· Many thanks. (it is very formal, usually used in a letter)
· I’m (very/so/extremely) grateful (for...).
· I want to tell you how grateful I am.
· I want to thank you for.....
· I’d like to thank you for.....(it is usually used in speech).
· I’m thankful for....
· I appreciate your....
· I just can’t thank you enough.
· You have been very helpful.
· You shouldn’t have (for a gift given).
· Thank you (very/so much) for....
· Many thanks.
· Thank you.
· Thanks a lot for....
· Thanks a lot.
· You’re (very/entirely) welcome.
· You’re quite welcome.
· Don’t mentioned it.
· That’s all right.
· It was my plesure.
· My pleasure.
· It is no trouble.
· It is nothing.
· That’s OK.
· Not at all.
· Forget it.
We can also say “Thank you” when refuse someone’s offering.
1. Thanks, but......
2. No,thank you/thanks.
3. Thanks anyway.
For thanking God, we usually say “Thank God” or “Thank heavens for that”.
B. Giving a Compliment
When we want to appreciate someone performance, appearance, success or achievement, we can give him/her a Compliment. We can use the following expressions :
· I (really) like your ......
· I think you are very great.
· That’s great.
· That’s fantastic.
· Preety good.
· I really like it.
· Your performance is very excellent.
· I think your ...... is very nice.
· That’s a (nice, lovely, good)......
· That was a (nice, lovely, good, etc) .......
· You look (good, handsome, beautiful, wonderful, etc).
· You are (really) a good ......
· You’re wonderful on .......
· You’re doing great / you did great.
· What a (beautiful,lovely, etc)......
· It look good on you.
· I think you look good in ......
When we want to respond the compliment given to us, we can use the following expressions :
· Thank you.
· Thanks a lot.
· It’s very kind of you to say that.
· I’m glad you like it.
· Do you thing so?
C. The expressions of Congratulation.
We usually congratulate someone on some happy occasions, such as for achievement or winning something, for passing an exam, for getting job, promotion, for birthday or anniversary, for an engagement or a wedding, and for seasonal greetings.
The following are expressions of congratulation :
· May we congratulate you on ......
· I must congratulate you on ......
· I congratulate you on ......
· Please accept my warmest congratulation.
· Congratulation on your ......
· My congratulation on your winning.
· Congratulation to you.
· Well done/ great job.
· Good luck.
· Happy birthday.
· Happy new year.
· Thank you very much.
· That’s very kind of you.
· The same to you.
· I don’t know what to say.
In pairs, make a dialogue with your classmate. Use expressions of thanking, complementing, and congratulating.